Montana World Trade Center
The Montana World Trade Center at The University of Montana dedicates its activities and initiatives to growing Montana’s export and trade capabilities through a combination of education, consultation and global economic development. The office acts simultaneously as consultant and advocate.
MWTC works in collaboration with the full array of public and private commercial organizations that offer Montana businesses the tools and resources to compete globally. This collaboration contributed to unprecedented success as Montana saw its exports nearly double from 2005 to 2010. Significantly and for the first time, Montana’s manufactured goods matched the export of commodities and raw materials. Despite an uncertain global economic climate, Montana’s exports leaped again in 2011 to $1.58 billion, a 13.87 percent increase over 2010.
MWTC’s current goal is to once again double Montana’s exports to reach $4 billion by 2015. To accomplish this, MWTC will continue to offer export programs and provide proven capacity-building services including:
- Easy access to the U.S Foreign Commercial Service colocated with MWTC on the University campus.
- Participation on trade missions with federal and state leaders and other Montana dignitaries.
- Customized consultation for businesses that wish to become export-ready or increase their existing global presence.
- Trade education and training across the state.
- Information sharing and capacity-building resources made available to its 100 members.
- Portal to 300 world trade centers in almost 100 countries.
- Liaison to visiting trade and global leaders.
- New market research and analysis.
- Student experiential learning.
- EU Awareness Program: Provides direct access to European Union trade and investment representatives and to EU companies; resources available for companies looking to do business in the EU. Funded by the Delegation of the European Union, MWTC’s EU Awareness Program provides opportunities to build commercial relationships and make new connections within the EU. A trade mission to the EU is forthcoming in late spring/early summer 2012.
- ExporTech: In partnership with Montana Manufacturing Extension Center, this program is designed to help companies enter or expand into global markets by developing an export strategy. This includes identifying barriers to expansion, and developing business objectives and plans.
- International Business Development Missions: Offers an opportunity for Montana companies to develop new — or expand existing — export sales by joining a trade delegation. One-on-one meetings are pre-arranged with vetted buyers and/or distributors that offer the best potential for global sales. Trade missions include networking opportunities with federal and state leaders, Montana dignitaries and global business leaders.
- International Business Seminar Series: Seminars and webinars focus on technical and strategic training to provide the tools and resources needed to build a foundation that supports global business opportunities and growth. Courses are concise and are designed to fit into executives’ and owners’ busy schedules.
- Montana Container Shipping: MWTC is working to align a network of producers, small locally owned firms and manufacturers to efficiently and cost-effectively move products in, out and through the state of Montana. The goal is to reduce shipping costs for all Montana companies.
- MWTC works in partnership with other economic development organizations and Montana’s federal congressional offices to increase company access to foreign market opportunities. In September 2011 the Montana World Trade Center was awarded an Economic Development Administration grant for the National Export Initiative Support Project. This effort is part of President Barack Obama’s National Export Initiative to double U.S. exports by the end of 2014.
Please call 406.243.6982,fax: 406.243.5259 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find the Montana World Trade Center online at www.mwtc.org.
The office is located on the University of Montana campus in the Gallagher Business Building, Suite 257.