Missoula County Public Schools:
Lifelong Learning is not just taking classes; it’s an attitude, it’s a choice. And it’s available to every citizen in the Missoula area. Part of the Missoula County Public School district, the Adult Education Division operates the Lifelong Learning Center just southwest of downtown.
The center opened in 1957 with a class of 20 journeyman carpenters who needed to learn welding skills. Today enrollment is more than 11,500 students taking at least one of more than 700 day or evening classes.
In addition to its formal semester class offerings, the Lifelong Learning Center designs and teaches any type of training required by a business. These contract training classes can be held at the business location or at the school.
Current classes include:
- Computer-based: Keyboarding, Microsoft Office suite, Adobe®, Quickbooks, Web development and more.
- Workforce training: As a market-driven program, the mission here is to not only meet the needs of today’s workforce but also to prepare for tomorrow’s. New classes are continually being created in response to ever-changing business needs. If employers can’t find the perfect class for their employees, the school can arrange for customized contract training.
- Health and safety: Course topics include medical terminology, billing, coding, CPR and first aid.
- Certificate programs: Short-term training and certificate programs are available in many areas, including certified nursing assistant, dental assisting, emergency medical technician, outpatient coding, phlebotomy, supervision and management, computerized accounting and office computer essentials.
- Fitness and dance: More than 100 affordable and fun classes — from aerobic kickboxing to yoga — are offered every quarter.
- Home improvement: Basic plumbing and electrical repairs, vegetable gardening, how to build a backyard deck or pond, and more.
- Cooking: Learn how to prepare great food (and take home the leftovers).
- Language: American Sign Language, Spanish, French, Chinese, Russian and more.
- Art and Crafts: Painting, drawing, sculpture, ceramics, beading, jewelry making and more.
Find the Lifelong Learning Center at www.TheLifelongLearningCenter.com.
The school is located at 310 S. Curtis.